• Grapes, raisins, currants or sultanas
• Macadamia nuts
• Onions, garlic, leeks etc
• Xylitol (a sweetener)
CHOCOLATE POISONING IN DOGS
The severity of poisoning depends principally on two things, obviously
the amount of chocolate ingested but also the type of chocolate (i.e. milk or dark). The amount of theobromine (a methylxanthine similar to caffeine) in milk and dark chocolate differs considerably.
• White chocolate - not as much theobromine as milk or dark chocolate
• Milk Chocolate - Seek veterinary advice for anything over approx 9g/kg
• Dark Chocolate - Seek veterinary advice for anything over approx 1g/kg
• Cocoa powder - Seek veterinary advice for anything over approxi 0.77g/kg
The common effects seen in chocolate poisoning are vomiting
and diarrhoea (and coupled with the fact that theobromine is a diuretic, animals may become severely dehydrated). Theobromine
also directly stimulates the central nervous system, therefore some animals may become hyperactive, may develop hyperthermia, hypertensions, tremors or convulsions.
Other foods to avoid are onion gravy and sage and onion stuffing. Allium species (onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, chives) can cause toxicity, even when cooked.
Garden plants can often be poinsonous or an irritant to pets. The ASPCA have compiled a list of plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on animals and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract: ASPC
Consult your veterinary surgeon for advice if your dog has ingested any of the foods listed above.